I recently got a new N200 and asked on several forums to ask me questions about this camera.
I collected all the questions and now ready to answer some of them. Exceptions are topics related to comparative tests (AF speed, ISO noise). Because tests require more time. I’ll do it soon.
And, important: I am not a professional in photography, it`s just my hobby. (And, yes – i like Samsung NX , and sorry for my English)
- What’s about the RAW-files? What is their size? How fast is a record?
SRW files are about 42-43 Mb each. Speed of operation with files is very dependent on the type of card. After purchase SanDisk Extreme Ultra – speed of the record was increased greatly.
- First of all, interested in the overall responsiveness of the interface. The rate of reaction on pressing a key. For example, the NX100 switch-over to change the size and position of the point of focus (by pressing the “OK”) takes up about half a second..
Nothing like this has been observed. Generally very fast interface. After NX100 – especially.
- Writing to SD-card in the background: is it possible at this time to control the camera?
Depends on the situation. Writing photos which have been taken in burst mode – locks the camera. But, for example, frequent shooting single shots leaving camera completely manageable. Viewing pictures when recording to SD, of course, impossible.
- How clearly felt “clicks” when you scroll through the upper wheel? Does it rotates freely like on NX100?
It seems to me, the behavior of the upper wheel is close to ideal now. Clicks are felt, the values are set explicitly, the wheel is not moved accidentally in pocket, but unnecessary efforts are not needed.
- There’s auto-ISO in mode “M”?
- A fast continuous shooting off the screen, we have already seen on video from exhibition (here), and what about slow series?
After the firmware updated to 1.01 (I think that’s the case, but not sure), the screen does not go off, and shows the shifting frames. This works for shooting in raw and for shooting in jpg. On slow and fast SDs. Correcting the composition is quite possible.
- That instead of the AE-L/AF-L button?
Video Recording Start-Stop button.
- Protection class has changed?
I can not say about protaction class changes. Looks the same as NX100.
- Which editor are using?
Samsung Raw Converter (Version: 184.108.40.206). By the way, the previous (Version: 220.127.116.11) is also able to open them, but with warnings about unsupported type.
- What about the body? What are the materials?
Body is fine. I do not know how it can be improved. The camera is smaller than the NX100. Photos, and a comparisons with other cameras on the photos – do not give understanding: you must hold it in your hands with the pancake and without flash. Of course, grip was improved. The feel of the camera in hand - like the feel of iPhone4 with sharp corners, design of the NX200 works the same with sharp facets.
- Focusing in video mode was faster than NX \ 10 \ 11 \ 100?
Focusing in general became more rapid. After NX100 difference is striking. With old lenses too. (Later I will take a video of how it works)
- Focusing without contrast objects?
Also better, but not as dramatically as the increase of focusing speed under normal conditions.
- The reviews said about the horror that the camera turns ON in ten seconds. Hopefully, now is not it?
I found that it depends on the card. My camera will start in 1 second with five different cards, and in 9 seconds of the sixth card (all just the class 10). And the 6th – the fastest of them all (UHS-1).
Delay start feature: the camera will remember all your actions (clicking on the button and turning the wheels) and execute them all at once, for a moment, as soon as wake up. I’m pretty sure it can be corrected in firmware, and now recommend to buy cards with a camera on hand for check.
- What SD card you use for testing?
SDHC SanDisk Extreme Pro 32Гб 300X
And a pile of old SDs 10th class 16-32GB from different manufacturers.
- External power source for NX200: it is a device looks like a battery, with a wire connected into the power supply and then into the outlet. Battery cover on camera has a “shutter” for this purpose. So the question of the external camera power solved quite elegantly.
- Connecting to a computer and printer – the standard micro-USB cable.
- “Delete” button is now programmable (in shooting mode).
- Do not rely on slow and old SD-cards.. Only as a temporary option. If you want to comfortably enjoy NX200 – buy high-speed card.
- Mode S and A – parameter can be adjusted from upper wheel and the wheel on joystick – they overlap.
- A lot of filters, effects, treatments. Everything is very colorful and intuitive.
- In Fn-menu all the settings and their status visible at once. This is a important improvement. The main menu has almost no updates.
- Photos taken with a series written in a virtual folder and can be deleted from the card completely in pack (it only works in the camera, if you transfer files to your computer, all will be in the one folder).
- Video is cool. In the next few days I will write demos.
The plan for next blog-posts: try to make noise tests, and comparison with the NX100 in color and speed AF.